File # 2021-1687647
For Immediate Release – November 12, 2021
BRIDGEWATER, NS – On Tuesday, November 9, 2021, at approximately 7:30 p.m., Bridgewater Police Service (BPS) received a 911 call from a 16-year-old female requesting help as she did not know where she was. The caller provided dispatch staff with a land description that allowed police to locate her in the parking lot of a local hotel.
An investigation revealed that the female was from New Brunswick and had been sexually assaulted at a local hotel. Police also determined that she had been staying with a group of adults in other hotels across the province.
Police have charged 30-year-old Bruce Nicholas Gilroy from Brookdale, Nova Scotia, and 28-year-old Chelsey Wilson from Moncton, New Brunswick, with the following offences:
- Recruiting a person under 18 for the purpose of exploiting sexual services contrary to Section 279.011 of the Criminal Code of Canada.
- Receiving a financial benefit resulting from committing an offence under Section 279.01(1) of the Criminal Code Canada.
- Unlawful confinement contrary to Section 279(2) of the Criminal Code of Canada.
- Committing sexual assault contrary to Section 271 of the Criminal Code of Canada.
- Administering a destructive or noxious substance contrary to Section 245(1) of the Criminal Code of Canada.
The victim has been transported back to a safe location in her home province by police.
During the initial investigation, Bridgewater Police Service learned that there is a possibility that this matter is not isolated and may involve other communities, including in the Province of New Brunswick. As such, Bridgewater Police Service has requested assistance from the Human Trafficking Unit for the Province of Nova Scotia in furthering this multi-jurisdictional investigation.
As the investigation remains ongoing, police request that anyone with any related information please contact Bridgewater Police Service at (902) 543-2464.